Used for reporting consecutive trends and events in the past:
- Ex. There was a significant rise in 1964. Then, the figure dipped sharply in 1980.
Used for reporting what happened (e.g. the figure reached) by a given time in the past:
- Ex. There was a significant rise in 1964. Then, the figure dipped sharply and had reached 5 by 1980.
Used for reporting trends that have no specific time and occur regularly (e.g every day), or for reporting the present value or figure of a variable:
- There is a significant rise at 6am every morning. Then the figure increases sharply at 8am.
- The number of people suffering from diarrhoea now stands at 158.
Used for reporting trends that started in the past and have continued until the present time or continue into the future:
- There has been a significant rise since 2013, and the figure now stands at 15000.
- There has been a significant rise since 2013, and the figure is expected to reach 15000 in 2020.
Future forms are used to describe trends that are predicted and projected for future times and dates. You should note that none of these predictions are certain, and therefore a level of uncertainty is desirable in your report.
- The figure will probably/likely reach 15000 in 2020.
- The figure should reach 15000 in 2020.
- The figure is likely to reach 15 is likely000 in 2020.
- It seems likely that the figure will reach 15000 in 2020.
|Predictions/ Forecasts /Estimates/ Evaluations /Calculations||show/ reveal/ indicate||that the figure will increase and reach 800 in 2050.|
|It is||predicted/ expected/ anticipated/ forecast/ estimated/ evaluated/ calculated||that the figure will increase and reach 800 in 2050.|
|The figure is||predicted expected anticipated forecast estimated evaluated calculated||to increase and reach 800 in 2050.|
IELTS Academic Writing Masterclass course
The course is structured in the following way:
- You are given a video lesson with step to step processes and instructions, including structures, grammar vocabulary and helpful tips.
- Then you are presented practical tasks as your assignment. That is the most important part of the course, You are completing the task Following the instructions in the videos to write your high scoring report or essay.
- Then you send it for evaluation and feedback.
- You will be shown where you are doing well and what needs improving.
IELTS Academic Writing Course presentation