• A general statement. What are you going to talk about?
- It is common knowledge that…» — «Всем известно, что…».
- The problem / issue / question of… has always aroused heated / sharp disputes /debates / discussions / controversy — «Проблема… всегда вызывала оживлённые дебаты».
- «Our modern world is unthinkable / unimaginable / inconceivable without…
You are going to give a talk about TV.
- Our modern world is unthinkable / unimaginable / without television.
- It is common knowledge that television plays one of the most importanat parts in people's life
Some Common Adjectives Related to Like/Love:
Exciting, interesting, amazing, fabulous, fascinating, eye catching, mind blowing, mouthwatering, relaxing, captivating, heart-touching, captivating.
There are several positive reasons for that. The main point is teenagers are involved in other different activities, which make them feel more captivating and exciting.
Giving an Example:
- Take ………., for example…
- A good example of this is…
- To give an example…
- I can give a relevant example here…
- Look at…….., for instance
A good example of this is internet, which provides a lot of possibilities to find any kind of entertainments. For instance, there are lots of YouTube channels providing clips, shows, interviews with celebrities, and anything you like.
1. Answer + Supported details or Examples.
2. Answer + Supported details or Examples
3. Answer + Supported details or Examples.
Expressions to use
Giving opinion/ Expressing Opinion:
- In my opinion/ In my view…
- As far as I am concerned…
- I believe that.....
- whether watching TV is still a popular pastime with teenagers, and why, or why not;
As far as I am concerned, television is loosing its popularity among teenagers. OR Television is not as popular nowadays as it used to be .
Giving an explanation:
- There are several positive reasons for that.
- The main point is…
- Well, the thing is…
- What I mean is…
- The reason for this is…
- I guess this is probably because ......get a lot of pleasure/I get lot of fun from it.
Liniking words to add another idea.
- in addition
Moreover, teenagers find it more convenient ,since they can watch a program without any commercials.
Wh-How Often’ Questions
- As for me, I ....... quite often. It really depends. If ——, it is likely that ——. Otherwise —–.
- If it is weekends, it is likely that I may ———–
- If it is summer it is likely that I may ———-
- If it is good weather, it is likely that I may ——–
how many hours a week you watch TV;
As for me, I don’t watch TV very often. It really depends. If my favourite TV show is on it is likely I watch it once or twice a week. Otherwise, I do not even turn it on.
Answering "Like " Questions
I’m quite keen on/I am fond of ........., but in particular I’m really into ........ In addition to ........, I suppose I’m also pretty passionate about ..........
EXAMPLE I’m quite keen on sports, but in particular I’m really into football. In addition to football, I suppose I’m also pretty passionate about Badminton.
Answering Dislike Question
Of course, I am not keen on ——-. To be more precise, I really can’t stand ——-. In addition to this, I am not really that fond of________
Q: What types of TV programs you dislike
A: Of course, I am not keen on blocks of commercials. To be more precise, I really can’t stand that constant advertising,, interrupting programs without limitation. In addition to this, I’m not really that fond of talk shows. This is probably because they are kind of repetitious and lacking variety.
Some Common Negative Adjectives Related to Dislike:
Dull, monotonous, tedious, repetitious, unrelieved, uneventful, colourless, lifeless, spiritless, insipid, lacking variety, unimaginative, uninspiring, unstimulating, derivative, soulless etc.
Answering ‘Type of’ Questions
What type/What kind
- There’s quite a wide range of ——- popular ...... such as ————- and so on. Yet I imagine the most ———- may be ———.
What types of TV programs are popular in your country
A: it goes without saying, that there is quite an extensive diversity of TV programs. Still, I suspect that the most popular could perhaps be drama serials. Another form of TV program worth mentioning could be Talk Show.
Agreeing with an opinion:
- I quite agree…
- I completely agree that…
- I could not agree more…
If you agree that TV is not as popular nowadays as it used to
I quite/completely agree that television is loosing its popularity nowadays.
Disagreeing with an opinion:
- I possess a different view…
- I must disagree with the view that…
- I am afraid I believe/ see it otherwise…
- This might be true in some context but…
- I am inclined to oppose the view that
I am inclined to oppose the view that TV is loosing its popularity. There are still a lot of programs which worth watching.
III. Conclusion/ Ending a point/ discussion:
- In summary, I can say that…
- So, that’s why I think that…
- Anyway, that’s why…
- Taking everything into account,
Taking everything into account, even though internet has replaced TV in some way, it still remains the main source of mass media.