- Remember: reading carefully is the key answer!
- Look at the passage and read the sentence where the highlighted word is mentioned then read a few sentences that come before it.
- Read the four answer choices carefully then substitute each one of them for the highlighted word.
- Read the sentence again with the answer choice and check if it makes sense.
- If the pronoun is preceded by a comma, seek out the subject immediately preceding the comma. It will be in the same sentence as the pronoun.
- If the pronoun is preceded by a period, seek out the subject of the sentence immediately preceding the period
A sample question:
The 20th century was indeed a period of breaking away from everything that ballet stood for. It was a time of unprecedented creative growth, for dancers and choreographers. It was also a time of shock, surprise and broadening of minds for the public, in terms of their definitions of what dance was. It was a revolution in the truest sense.
What does the first "it" refer to in the passage?
- A. ballet
- B. The 20th century
- C. definitions of dance
- D. the new dance style
Полезный материал на все разделы TOEFL
В данном разделе представлен полезный материал по всем разделам экзамена TOEFL: Reading, Listening, Speaking, Writing,