- Dear Mr.Brown
- Dear Ms. White
- Dear Sir •
- Dear Madam
- We are writing to inform you that .../to request... to confirm....to enquire about
- I am contacting you for the following reason. I recently read/heard about… and would like to know .....
- Having seen your advertisement in…., I would like to ….
- Thank you for your order by fax / email / phone.
- Further to your request...I'd like to mention...
- You enquired about...
- However, please note that...
- As an interesting alternative, you might wish to consider...
- It has the following features:
- Please consider this possibility/these possibilities and note the discount will still apply.
- I would suggest a prompt decision on this second option.
Referring to previous contact
- · Thank you for your letter of March 1
- · Thank you for contacting us.
- · In reply to your request,….
- · Thank you for your letter regarding….
- · With reference to our phone conversation …..
- · Further to our meeting last week….
- · It was a pleasure meeting you in….last week/month.
- · I would just like to confirm the main points we discussed on Tuesday.
Making a request
- · We would appreciate it if you would…
- · I would be grateful if you could..
- · Could you please send me….
- · Could you possibly tell us/let us have
- ·In addition, I would like to receive…
- · It would be helpful if you could send us..
- · I am interested in ( obtaining/receiving )…..
- I would appreciate your immediate attention to this.
- · Would you like us to…?
- · We would be happy to…
- · We are quite willing to…
- · Our company would be pleased to…
Giving good news
- We are pleased to announce that…
- I am delighted to inform you that..
- You will be pleased to learn that…
Giving bad news
- · We regret to inform you that…
- · I’m afraid it would not be possible to…
- · Unfortunately, we cannot/we are unable to…
- · After careful consideration we have decided ( not) to….
- · I am writing to express my dissatisfaction with….
- · I am writing to complain about….
- · Please note that the goods we ordered on ( date) have not yet arrived
- · We regret to inform you that our order…. Is now considerably overdue.
- · I would like to query the transport charges which seem unusually high.
- If you do not do this, we will be forced to,,,,,
- · We are sorry for the delay in replying to ...
- · I regret any inconvenience caused (by) ...
- · I would like to apologize for the (delay, inconvenience)...
- · Once again, please accept my apologies for
- · Thank you for your quotation of ...
- · We are pleased to place an order with your company for..
- · We would like to cancel our order n° .....
- · Please confirm receipt of our order.
- · I am pleased to acknowledge receipt of your order n° .....
- · Your order will be processed as quickly as possible.
- · It will take about (two/three) weeks to process your order.
- · We can guarantee you delivery before ...(date)
- · Unfortunately these articles are no longer available / are out of stock.
- · Please send us your price list.
- · You will find enclosed our most recent catalogue and price list.
- · Please note that our prices are subject to change without notice.
- · We have pleasure in enclosing a detailed quotation.
- · We can make you a firm offer of ...
Referring to payment
- · Our terms of payment are as follows ...
- · Our records show that we have not yet received payment of ...
- · According to our records ...
- · Please send payment as soon as possible.
- · You will receive a credit note for the sum of ...
- Enclosing documents
- · I am enclosing ...
- · Please find enclosed ...
- · You will find enclosed ..
- • If we can be of any further assistance, please let us know.
- • If I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- • If you require more information ...
- • For further details ...
- • Thank you for taking this into consideration.
- • Thank you for your help.
- • We hope you are happy with this arrangement.
- • We hope you can settle this matter to our satisfaction
Referring to future business
- • We look forward to a successful working relationship in the future.
- • We would be (very) pleased to do business with your company.
- • I would be happy to have an opportunity to work with your firm.
Ending business letters
- · Sincerely, } ◊ Yours sincerely,} for all customers / clients
- · Sincerely yours,} ◊ Yours faithfully, in more formal letters
- · Regards, for those you already know and/or with whom you have a working relationship
ПРИМЕР ВЫПОЛНЕНИЯ ЗАДАНИЯ
Your company employs a maintenance company to look after the computer system. However, their service has been unsatisfactory and your boss has asked you to write to the maintenance company to express your dissatisfaction.
- • Write the letter to the maintenance company, including the following:
- • explaining why you are not satisfied
- • saying what you expect the maintenance company to do
- • informing them what will happen if nothing changes.